Application for Summer 2017 Fellowships
The Mellichamp Academic Initiative in Sustainability is once again pleased to sponsor the Mellichamp Sustainability Fellowships for collaborative research in the area of chemical sustainability by UCSB graduate students. Nominations are being solicited for Summer 2017. Priority will be given to projects that support graduate students working with at least two faculty members in the Mellichamp Sustainability cluster, and projects without current external funding. Stipends of up to $8,000 will be awarded, depending on need.
Applications should be submitted as a pdf file to Debbie Kleinpeter (firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 12th, 2017. A letter of support from an advisor, research mentor or key faculty should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15th. (Sent separately via e-mail to email@example.com) The anticipated start date of the fellowship is July 1, 2017.
A completed application will include:
- Name of graduate student and advisor(s)
- Current project funding status, and statement of previous funding from the Mellichamp Initiative
- A brief description (1-2 paragraphs) of the proposed summer project, clearly indicating the relevance to the Sustainability Initiative’s goals
- A statement of commitment to the Fellowship, jointly signed by the graduate student, and research advisor(s) (see below)
Statement of Commitment
Acceptance of this fellowship indicates that we agree to the following terms:
- Full-time research by the graduate student during the summer quarter on the approved topic;
- Participation by graduate student and advisor(s) in periodic sustainability seminars throughout the summer, to the fullest extent that schedules permit;
- Participation by the research advisor(s) in at least one Mellichamp “Perspectives in Sustainability” (interactive discussion forum) event during the summer period;
- Acknowledgement of the Mellichamp Academic Initiative in Sustainability in all presentations, reports and publications arising from the work;
- Permission to post a photo of the graduate student and brief description of the project on the Mellichamp Academic Initiative in Sustainability website;
- Presentation of the work by the graduate student and/or advisor(s) at the next Mellichamp Academic Initiative in Sustainability symposium;
- Communication of any major changes in research direction to the Mellichamp Academic Initiative in Sustainability in a timely manner.
Applications will be reviewed by the Mellichamp Academic Initiative in Sustainability cluster and decisions communicated by May 22nd, 2017.
Fellows are expected to present their research at the next Mellichamp Sustainability symposium.
For more information about the scope and activities of the Mellichamp Academic Initiative in Sustainability, see http://sustech.ucsb.edu/.